Your rights as a foreign worker
Danish Metal Workers’ Union
Welcome to Denmark
I hope your time working in Denmark will be a positive experience. I know, it can be difficult to familiarise yourself with all the rules and rights that exist in Denmark. We therefore recommend that you join our union – a strong partner to have at your side, whenever you need help.
The Danish Metalworkers' Union (Dansk Metal) has been working professionally to safeguard the rights and interests of its members for more than 135 years.
We are a strong partner to have at your side whenever you need help. Dansk Metal is a democratic association in which the members make the decisions. We have 100.000 members in the manufacturing, building and construction, IT and telecommunications, and service industries in enterprises throughout Denmark.
On this page, you can see some of the issues we can help with. We will do our best to ensure that the work you do here in Denmark is on fair terms and in safe conditions.
As a member of Dansk Metal, you will have:
- Access to shop stewards
Most workplaces have a shop steward who'll help with everyday needs and questions.
- Negotiated pay
We negotiate your pay, and as a member you'll support and strengthen our work.
- Access to expertise
Qualified expertise regarding your pay and conditions while in Denmark.
- Free assistance
We help you in queries concerning employment, tax, pension, pay and industrial injuries.
Check your employment conditions
As a foreign worker in Denmark, you have the right to the same pay and working conditions as Danish nationals.
In addition, your employer must comply with many rules that apply to all employers, regardless of whether or not a collective agreement is in force at your workplace.
Collective agreements signed by Dansk Metal guarantee you good conditions for your work in Denmark. We train our own shop stewards and safety representatives, who work every day to ensure that their colleagues have good pay and working conditions.
Contact us immediately if you are in doubt about whether you are being paid enough or whether the rules are being complied with.
Check your employment contract
You have the right to an employment contract after you have worked for more than one month and if you work more than 8 hours a week.
The contract must state:
- Your name and address and those of your employer
- The date your employment started and your working hours
- Wage/net pay and supplements
- A job description or description of the work
- The duration of the employment and rules regarding termination of employment
- Holiday entitlements
- The terms laid down in collective agreements.
Contact us immediately if you haven't received your contract within one month or if you think your contract might be incorrect.
Take good care of yourself
You have the right to work without risking your health. In Denmark, there is no additional payment for especially hazardous work. Employers have a duty to minimise any risks entailed by the work and you must follow any guidelines at the workplace intended to ensure a safe and sound work environment and prevent accidents.
- Follow any instructions you have been given – and ask your manager for instructions if you have been given none
- Use the available safety equipment e.g. exhaust systems when welding, and lifting gear when handling heavy loads
- Use the personal protective equipment given to you
- Abide by the requirements in the safety data sheets regarding chemicals you handle
- Abide by the user manuals for any technical equipment
- Keep your workplace tidy and organised, especially in areas designated for transport
- Never take any chances with your safety or with the safety of your colleagues
- Ask the manager for instructions if you are not sure how to perform a task in a safe way.
Contact us immediately if you have an accident or if you have any concerns about your safety at work. We help our members to get compensation and to improve their work environment.
Do you have questions or need assistance?
If you have a shop steward from Dansk Metal at your place of work, you can always reach out to them. If not, please call our headquarters.+45 3363 2000
Monday to Thursday: 8.30 AM - 5.00 PM
Friday: 8.30 AM - 2.00 PM
You can also send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org